quarta-feira, 10 de agosto de 2011

Success


I saw this quote today (I already knew it but it was good to get it again) and it reminded me of what really matters in life. This quote is an inspiration for me today, so I am posting it here, hoping it will inspire you as well.

“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and to endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded."

Ralph Waldo Emerson, 1803-1882

3 comentários:

  1. It's great to meet you here as well. Wonderful blog. I very much liked the idea of reflecting upon our spirituality through quotes. Among the several functions reading has for me, taking us beyond our routines is maybe the most important one. We all have some choices in life, your quote made me think that we can choose to see the better side of everything or not. It's a question of going deeper in life to go beyond it.
    Congrats!

    ResponderExcluir
  2. Hola Ana!
    I saw a quote that made me think of what you are doing with your blog. It's by Carlos Castanedos (spelling is off I know) and I'm not sure I got the words exactly right.

    We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.

    I typically have thought that it's the lack of work that makes us miserable, but then we spend all that time worrying about the future, feeling regrets about the past...that takes a lot of time and energy.

    I like your quote today because this is the challenge I set for myself every day--to try to make a difference to someone each day no matter how small that difference is. In our world it is not really a sign of personal success. But this is so much "harder" for many people to do than write a book, etc. With all that is going on in the world these days, I feel as though this is the one thing I have any control over...to be present to others. Oh well.

    ResponderExcluir
  3. Dear Paula,

    Thanks for your comment. So true. I agree with you. We worry ourselves to death about the past, about all the “could haves” “should haves” “what ifs”… and then we are already feeling sad. Love your advice: be present to others. Be present to ourselves, honoring our feelings – even the sadness. Being present, breathing and letting go of the past, knowing the present is here, today is the day I can “control”, feel and do something.

    Thanks for being present here and reminding me of this.

    ResponderExcluir